January 23rd Conference Call

National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture (NICH)

Bi-Weekly Tuesday Conference Call Minutes

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Attending: Casey, Pam, Debbie, Tom U., Suzi, Tom B., Gail, Shannon


NICH National Meeting Update (Ellen)

  • Dates: June 28th, 8am-5pm and June 29th 8am-12pm in Hilton Garden Inn in East Point, GA
  • Committee Meetings at National Meeting?:
  • Debbie wants a committee meeting on June 27th. How about other committees? Pam and Julie: if you want a committee meeting on that date, please contact Ellen, directly. It may be best to lock in dates, early.
  • Pre-registration: Update = 21 people pre-registered. Hoping to get more folks. Need to develop a campaign to get committee members to register. Committee chairs and Executive Committee members, please get the word out to compel as many committee members to pre-register, as possible.
    • This would include any of the academic folks from SCC-85 (Rick Durham, Natalie Bumgarner, etc.). Rick: please ask SCC-85 members who can attend the NICH meeting to pre-register for the conference.
    • Qs: Is there a limitation on people who can register? Can it be interested individuals, or only folks already involved in NICH? A: It is open to all interested individuals.
    • Q: Has a formal invitation been sent to all? A: We sent out a note on the E-Mail blast. Might want to think about to whom we should send a ‘special’ invitation.
  • Atlanta Botanical Garden Reception Details (Casey): will be hosting a reception on the 27th or the 28th for our group. They would prefer to host at ~ 7 pm, to make time work best for all. We can continue to work with them to see what items they could cover / cannot include as part of their hosting duties.
  • All Committee and Council Heads: please get the word out about the NICH National Meeting, ask them to pre-register.

NICH (Email Blasts)

  • Upcoming Blasts – Casey, Suzi, Debbie, Gail, and Others
  • Economic survey blast status?
    • Wrote an editorial for Grower Talks magazine, which will appear in February email. Will dovetail this with an email blast to NICH listserv.
    • General public relations ask for industry, to fill out the survey
      Jennifer Gray’s intern (at American Hort) is working on the copy for the ECONOMIC survey ask. Will get the copy over to Suzi for a look.
      Will email economic survey ask for industry through NICH email blast, as well as through other channels. American Hort will send the survey out to their entire mailing list. Garden Media Group will send the survey out to their list of ~2000.
    • The aim is to have a January 30th for the economic survey campaign.
    • Suzi will provide the final copy for the email blast to Lauren (at APGA).
    • Every NICH member should also send the survey out to their personal list of industry contacts when it is ready to share. Garden centers, nurseries, public gardens, landscape services, etc.
    • Kudos to Debbie and the economic committee for their excellent work.
    • One idea, in late April, have a press conference webinar. ‘Brain trust’ of economists could answer questions related to the infographics and the survey results. Would be an excellent opportunity to get the name of NICH out there.
      • Suzi says that they have done this with their clients. It could be with all press or trade-specific press. For example, one economist talks to a greenhouse grower, one economist talks to another trade-specific media.
  • NICH List of Accomplishments? Gail will send to Suzi so that it can be sent out via NICH listserv. Gail will send to Lauren for distribution to NICH listserv, this week.
  • Others?

Committee and Council Updates

  • Community and Health Benefits Committee: Economic Survey went out on December 19th. Waiting for the return of those survey results from Ellen.
    • Working on literature review. January 31st is time to complete lit review. Will look at results of the lit review to identify gaps. Sheri Dorn has a program assistant compiling the results.
  • Environmental Committee met Jan. 10. The lit review continues; Toby Day is researching what it will take to produce our interactive infographic. Lauren Glasen has volunteered to take responsibility for the lit review spreadsheet organization. Not everyone can attend the meeting in Atlanta, but I believe most have pre-registered who are attending.
  • Economic Committee: series of infographics on indoor plants: where we work, where we learn, where we heal, where we live. Getting this series of four infographics out before the month of March is the plan, in tandem with Suzi. The plan is to get out in front of the spring trade/flower shows. Jennifer Gray at American Hort has lent so much to this effort.
    • Suzi is looking at a series of dates in February for infographic press releases.
    • Q: Will infographics be available in a durable format, where they can be used by nurseries and garden centers, as part of their advertising?
    • A: These will be available for free downloads and use by industry and others. There is no copyright on them. NICH appears in each infographic, so we get our branding.
    • These will also be sent out from American Hort, to the Washington Impact Summit (Washington Week), and to associations around the country.
    • We are so lucky to have one of the best marketing firms in the industry working with us on this effort.
  • Councils: none on the call

Other Items

  • NIFA listening sessions. After the last one, it was noted that our group showed up for nearly every session, and provided useful input.

Review Action Items

  • Pam and Julie: if you want a committee meeting on that date, please contact Ellen, directly.
  • Rick: please ask SCC-85 members who can attend the NICH meeting to pre-register for the conference.
  • All Committee and Council Heads: please get the word out about the NICH National Meeting, ask them to pre-register.
  • Suzi will work with Ellen to put out a note to the media, inviting folks to the meeting.
  • Casey will work with Suzi to develop a more personal invitation for special invites ~ someone who is key to the process but might have missed other invites (e.g., admins, legislators, etc.). Personal calls may also be needed. Generating this list of VIPs may be a topic of our next phone call.

Next Meeting: (February 6, 2018)

Leave a Reply