National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture (NICH)
Bi-Weekly Conference Call
Tuesday February 19, 2019
10am ET / 9am CT / 8am MT / 7am PT
Attendees: Casey, Sylvia, Pam, Mary Kay, Missy, Mason
1. Strategic Tactics continued (Casey)
Continued discussion of strategic tactics – see ‘v3’.
2. Committee Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Marketing (Mary Kay)
Update has been made to the NICH ‘Join Us’ page:
https://signup.e2ma.net/signup/1854783/1400854/. Committee will be working through items in the strategic tactics and discussing email auto reply in future. Committee discussed target list – Sylvia and Mary Kay are point people to consolidate and make the list more user friendly. Discussed timeliness of sending out e-blasts and feel monthly is appropriate. 2018 Annual Report will be first shared item. Moving forward would like all NICH communications to go through Emma Email Marketing account (this is through Casey/APGA).
Issue – Suzi was sending press releases through PR Newswire and Garden Media Group. We need to address how we will send press releases in the future. Opportunities discussed:
- GWA or Garden Communicators (forge a relationship with Becky Heath)
- Seed Your Future has some publicity campaigns and may have a retainer relationship.
- Commercial for profit partners (Proven Winners, Angie Tredwell OR ANG) may be an option for spreading the word. Mason can help with industry contact list – if we send press releases to the industry partners, they may be picked up by trade publications.
Emma Email Marketing can tailor who an email is coming from. Do we want to have a
state ambassador or contact person in each state? Use nursery and landscape
associations by state? Mary Kay will identify who eblasts should come from when she
shares them with Lauren.
b. Community Health Benefits (Pam)
Ready to move forward with internal engagement of the EMG community. Has volunteers ready to prepare ‘Did you Know’ factoids for monthly e-blast (intention is to share an interesting fact about horticulture…’for more information’ will link to the infographic page).
c. Economic (Debbie) – N/A
3. Council Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Non-Profit (Shannon) – N/A
b. Commercial (Mason) – N/A
c. Academic/LGU (???) – N/A
4. New Business
Lauren (from Casey’s unit) going to GardenComm event to raise awareness of NICH.
Relevancy reviewers – Always potentially needed please continue to have potential relevancy reviewers contact Tom Bewick @ NIFA (TBEWICK@nifa.usda.gov).
Casey will link Ellen, Missy and Lauren together before Casey is out of the office for next two weeks. This will facilitate work taking place while Casey is out.